Teaching Citizenship, Democracy & Participation in Elections
Your Power To Choose is an integrated education program developed by Elections Manitoba with valuable input from education professionals. The program includes a curriculum guide with hands-on activities, in-class workshops and resources for running student elections.
Your Power To Choose:
- creates life-long learning skills and the habit of participation among Manitoba youth
- integrates the complete election experience with Manitoba’s grades 6, 9 and 11 social studies curricula
- adapts to many other classroom and learning levels, particularly grades 4 and 5
- focuses on interactive learning - students learn how to make informed choices, experience the impact and power of their choices
- features handouts, worksheets and support materials such as ballot boxes and voting screens
Your Power To Choose Adult Education Guide
- All content links to the 9 Essential Skills, as outlined by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
- The lessons accommodate three learning levels, reflecting the stages of learning identified by Manitoba Advanced Education and Literacy
- The Guide is divided into four phases, mirroring the different parts of the election experience
- All lessons in the guide are adaptable and stand-alone; and they include all materials required to teach the lesson
- The lessons are engaging and interactive, including an election trivia game and a mock election
Create the election experience in the classroom
Your Power to Choose is supported by school workshops hosted by Elections Manitoba, recreating the four phases of the 'election experience' in the classroom. Includes:
- hands-on activities, games and mock election
- interactive style brings meaning to participation
- dynamic and flexible - relevant to all learning levels
Please click here to view Electoral Division maps.
Enhance student elections in your school
Elections Manitoba now provides a resource package for student election organizers. It includes the following tools to support the student voting experience.
- Ballot box
- Voting screen
- Election To Do Checklist
- CD with forms and other support materials
To request materials or for more information on the Your Power To Choose program, please send us an email.
For further information contact our education coordinator at: