title icon


You can vote if you are:

  • a Canadian citizen;
  • 18 years of age on or before election day;
  • a resident of Manitoba for at least six months before election day; and
  • a resident of the Point Douglas electoral division.

If you are unable to go in person to a voting place due to a disability, you and/or your caregiver can apply to vote in your home by contacting your returning officer.

If you are an eligible voter of the Point Douglas electoral division, contact the returning officer.

You can apply for absentee voting if you are eligible to vote but can't make it to a voting place during advance voting or on election day.

If you move within the Point Douglas electoral division, you will still be eligible to vote. If you have already been enumerated, contact the returning officer. If you have not yet been enumerated, let the enumerator know that you will be moving before the election.

Braille ballot templates are available at all voting places. Magnifying lenses and large print lists of candidates are also available. A Braille list of candidates is available on election day and at some advance voting locations. You can also bring someone with you to help you vote. They must be 18 years of age or older. A voting officer may also assist you.

If you cannot mark the ballot yourself, you can bring someone with you to help you vote. They must be 18 years of age or older. A voting officer may also assist you.

The voters list is not publicly posted. However, if you are concerned about your personal security, you can apply to have your name omitted or obscured (blacked out) from the voters list and replaced with a personal security number. A person who has been assigned a personal security number may vote only by homebound ballot. You can discuss this option by contacting your returning office during an election. To find out more, contact us.

If you are an eligible voter in the Point Douglas electoral division, you can vote even if you do not have a permanent address. If you are staying at a shelter or hostel in the Point Douglas electoral division, they can provide voting information to you.

You may register at the voting place. Just bring government issued photo identification, or two other documents with your name, and sign an oath. See a

Post-secondary students

If you are a resident of the St. Boniface electoral division and temporarily live outside the division to attend a school in Manitoba, the following rules apply:

  • If your course of study is longer than six months you are not eligible to vote in the byelection while attending school.
  • If your course of study is shorter than six months you are eligible to vote in the byelection.

You may vote at your designated voting place on election day, in advance at either advance voting location in your electoral division, or as an absentee voter.

Students Attending School Outside Manitoba

Eligible residents of St. Boniface attending school outside Manitoba can still vote in the byelection as an absentee voter.

To qualify as a student absentee voter you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen
  • be 18 years old on or before election day
  • intend to return to live in Manitoba when you are done your studies*

*The six-month residency rule is waived for students

Find out more and apply as an absentee voter. contact us.

  • No literature, sign, poster, or flag having reference to the election, can be posted within 50 metres (164 ft.) of the entrance to a building that is a voting place [s. 124(1) of EA];
  • It should be noted that the Returning Office itself is also a voting place on days when there is absentee voting or advance voting.
  • All temporary street signs are covered by the City of Winnipeg's temporary street signs bylaw. You can view this by-law online at the City of Winnipeg website. For locations outside Winnipeg, refer to your local municipality.
  • For the policy governing signs posted in the Provincial Road/Trunk Highway (PR/PTH) Right-of-ways, click here.
Every employee is entitled to three consecutive hours to vote at the discretion of the employer (not any three hours the employee chooses).
  • If you are off work at 5 pm then you automatically have three hours (5 pm to 8 pm) to vote.
  • If you work a shift from 8 am to 8 pm you have the right to take time to vote during the work day.
  • As an alternative, you can cast your ballot during advance voting which will run for eight days.
email election@elections.mb.ca | phone 204-945-3225 | 1-866-628-6837

Elections Manitoba © 2018